Friday, July 4, 2008

The People Watcher


My Grandma Susie was a very special part of my family’s life. Grandparents are wonderful people. They have so much to teach us. There was a particular day when I was about 10-years old that Grandma taught me a special lesson.

My mother, Grandma Susie, sisters, and I were shopping. I’d grown tired and asked Momma if I could sit beside Grandma. She took me to Grandma, who was sitting on a bench beside the exit doors, and then went to finish her shopping.

I sat quietly for a few minutes. Grandma also sat quietly, her slim hands folded together atop her pocketbook. She watched as each customer walked through the doors. She followed the procession of people, her head turning back and forth, back and forth. She didn’t utter a word. Finally, I couldn’t keep quiet any longer.

“Grandma, what are you doing?”

“Why, I’m watching people, Lisa.”

I hesitated before asking my next question. “Why?”

Grandma Susie stopped and looked down at me with a gentle smile on her face before going back to the procession. She spoke as her head turned from side to side.

“Lisa Ann, there are millions of people in the world. God made each one of them different. They have different noses, different eyes, different skin…each one is unique.”

I pondered Grandma’s words and began watching the procession. She was right. One man’s nose was long; the other man’s nose was short with a bump on the end; one woman’s skin was creamy; the other woman’s skin was dark brown. I tried to find two people that looked alike as we waited for Momma to finish shopping. I couldn’t.

That day, my Grandma Susie passed on her love for “people watching.” I love to sit quietly on the sideline and look at the differences in people’s faces, eyes, lips, and noses… the things that make them each an individual. Those individuals create such an interesting world around us if you just take the time to stop and look.

When you look at others, appreciate what makes them different. Difference isn’t a bad thing. It’s what makes us unique.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Lisa,
What a sweet story and the interest you have in people is what helps to make you a great writer. You see and feel - both great traits.

Thanks so much for sharing - pass this lesson along to your grandchildren and teach them well too.

Take care,
Judy
http://localfoodconnections.com